Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Does Anyone Know How to Plant Coverage Juniper?

I want to plant coverage Juniper like this:



I am not sure about how to go about this. I got this Juniper plant from Home Depot. The directions say to plant each one between one and two feet apart. This is gonna be costly as these are 4 bucks each.



Here is a newer planting of Juniper over near St Joe Hospital. I notice that these plantings are much smaller than the one from Home Depot. Are the professional landscapers using something different than the plant from Home Depot?





I will be planting these on a fairly steep incline. I don't think that should make any difference. Here is the area where I would like to plant the Juniper


I have been able to find very little information about this via google. I also saw little mention of this plant in the how to landscaping books at Home Depot.

Thanks!

4 comments:

carasu said...

Are you the gentlman with the kittens? We took one last year.....he is doing great! I am trying to plant this stuff as well on my sidewalk strip.....I think it is a form of jasmine...you can get it really cheap at Manny's over the bridge......I think you just need to plant then about 12 inches apart if you want them to fill in quickly....water them well at first until they get established....they like a little shade...
Hey, we should have a Branch Ave block party......

TC said...

I saw your blog the previous day and was going to ask how the cat was doing. We spaded all of the cats from that litter as well as the mother, Goblin. All of the kittens were given away except one all black cat that we could never catch. His name is Scat.

The other adult cat, Cow, had a litter about 4 months ago. We stopped putting out food for a while so they would disperse. A couple of Cow's kittens are still around. We are going to catch them and get them spaded.

TC

TC said...

I am going to visit a few of the local nurseries to find out more about this plant.

I noticed over at the Wild Oats/Home Depot/Target plaza on Dale Mabry that they planted juniper with what looks to be little seedlings. I am going to look for these or experiment with making my own seedlings from some of those bigger plants.

VirginiaO said...

The plant is dwarf Asiatic jasmine. It is a wonderful drought-resistant alternative to turfgrass, easier to establish in shade than in sun, but will grown in full sun if watered more during establishment. There is also a variegated form. I use jasmine and I never water nor mow it. I just discovered your blog. We are neighbors. Don't you love our block? I am 4 doors down in the newly painted green house. Stop by sometime. Virginia